We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. Accept | Find out more

x

The Thrill of the Chase

Arguing that "anyone who dies with over $50 is a failure," a cancer-stricken art collector in Santa Fe filled a chest with millions in gold and jewels, hid it in the wilderness and published a single short poem full of clues for treasure hunters. It started as a lark. Little did anyone know just how big it would get.

Author Margie Goldsmith

treasure3

Picture 3 of 6

Fenn's clue-filled memoir

BLAME RALPH LAUREN. In 1996 the designer paid a visit to his friend Forrest Fenn, who lived in Santa Fe, N.M. Fenn had recently undergone chemo and radiation for kidney cancer, and was told there was only a 20 percent chance for his survival. He sold his successful Santa Fe art gallery and settled in to await the inevitable. While he did, many friends stopped by to visit him and his wife at home.

The place was filled with more than 5,000 pieces of museum-quality Southwestern art and artifacts, from Sitting Bull’s pipe and an 18th-century painted buffalo skin to early Indian pottery and rare Plains Indian medicine bonnets. Lauren immediately fell in love with a Crow Indian hat covered in white ermine skins and carved antelope horns, and offered to buy it. Fenn refused, saying it was one of his favorites. Lauren said, “Well, you can’t take it with you.” To which Fenn replied, “Then I’m not going.”

Though the hat remained safely ensconced in Fenn’s collection, Lauren’s visit gave the ailing art collector an idea. Inspired by the adventure stories he had devoured as a child, Fenn sat down to write a memoir, jotting down scenes and remembrances as they came to him. As an Air Force pilot during the Vietnam War, he flew 328 missions and was shot down twice. After the war he turned to art, settling in Santa Fe with his wife, Peggy, and opening Fenn Gallery, which became the most successful art gallery in New Mexico. Fenn’s holdings included Remingtons and Russells and O’Keeffes— every big name in Western art—and many of those works are now in museums ranging from the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyo., to the Art Institute of Chicago. Buying and selling art was how Fenn came to know Lauren, yes, but also Robert Redford, Jacqueline Onassis, Sam Shepard, Jessica Lange, Steven Spielberg and Donna Karan.

And that’s when things got interesting. As he wrote, Fenn was reminded of how much fun he’d had hunting down fine art pieces and building his collection over the decades. He felt it would be a shame if all that ended with his death. The memoir would help preserve his legacy, of course—but as he saw it, there was only one way to pass along that sense of delight, that thrill of the hunt.

So Fenn bought an antique bronze chest and started to fill it with treasures. The booty included a jar full of gold dust panned in Alaska, gold coins, large and small gold nuggets, pre-Columbian gold animal figures, two ancient Chinese jade carvings, a 17th-century Spanish gold and emerald ring and a beloved bracelet of turquoise beads, excavated from a Mesa Verde ruin in 1903, that Fenn had won in a game of pool. The total value amounted to about $3 million.

Fenn decided he would hide the chest with a copy of his book in the desert, maybe even as he walked out into the wilderness to die. That could trigger a hunt of its own, spark some excitement; one day an intrepid searcher would find his bones and his treasure and learn who he was, think kindly of him. His memory would live on.

It seemed like a perfect plan. Except for one hitch.

Fenn didn’t die.

FORREST FENN’S CANCER went into remission—and it stayed that way. As a result, he didn’t quite get around to burying that treasure. More than a dozen years passed.

Then, in 2010, Fenn turned 80, and the milestone spurred him back into action. “I had this treasure chest full of gold and jewels just burning a hole in my vault,” he says. “So I decided to go ahead and hide it somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe, leaving clues on how to find it for any searcher willing to try.”

The clues are encoded in the memoir he self-published that year, The Thrill of the Chase. There are nine of them, all contained in a single poem Fenn wrote.

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyons down,
Not far, but too far to walk.

Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answer I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

As word spread about what Fenn had done, treasure hunters rushed to Santa Fe. Based on the 5,000-plus emails he has received about the treasure, he estimates that more than 1,000 people have searched for it, though he assumes there must be others out there that he doesn’t know about.

Many who contact Fenn are looking for a little extra help; others simply want to share their stories. “Dear Mr. Fenn,” wrote one, “we don’t think we will find the treasure chest but I just want to thank you for getting me and my family off of the couch and out into the mountains.” Another man told of how he went out to look with his grown son. The two slept in a van and talked about their hopes for the future. They gave up the search after two days, but it wasn’t a wasted effort, the father wrote. “If it hadn’t been for the book, my son and I would never have had this time with each other.”

Which isn’t to say the quest should be undertaken lightly. ” There are dangers involved,” Fenn says. ” Things can complicate the search— earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires, floods, trees, falling rocks. There are those who have been at risk in water when they attempted to search someplace where it was not really safe to go. Some have not been prepared to face the elements after they parked their car and started walking. Some have lacked the proper clothing, food and water.”

One eager individual donned scuba gear and swam along the bottom of a murky lake until he almost ran out of air. Another “rode 28 miles on a bicycle in the snow and almost froze after getting wet,” Fenn says.

Still, the treasure hunters keep coming. One Chicago couple, for instance, has traveled to New Mexico 14 times to look for Fenn’s prize. (In an email, the wife told Fenn, “We are experts on where the treasure is not.”)

“What serious adventurers should remember,” Fenn says, “is to not believe anything that is not in my poem or otherwise in my book. There’s some misinformation out there. For instance, I never said I buried the chest, I said only that I hid it. That is not to say it is not buried, so maybe we need to define the terms. Does ‘hidden’ mean in plain sight? What is the difference between ‘buried,’ ‘entombed’ and ‘sepultured’? What does the word ‘blaze’ in the poem mean? A horse can have a blaze on its forehead, a blaze can be scraped on a tree to mark one’s way, a blaze can mean a flame or a scar on a rock. And what about ‘water high’? Does it mean deep, or higher than normal?”

Fenn generally refuses to give additional clues, but he’ll make the rare exception — of sorts. When one woman emailed him to complain that the clues were too difficult, he told her the treasure chest is located more than 300 miles west of Toledo.

Beyond queries from treasure seekers, Fenn has also received a number of letters from people simply wondering why on earth he would do this. “I wanted to create some intrigue and adventure and maybe a little mystery,” Fenn explains.

Plus, he says, “anyone who dies with over $50 is a failure.”

FINDING FENN’S TREASURE has proved so difficult that some are left questioning whether the whole thing is an elaborate hoax. But doubters need only ask Fenn’s friend Douglas Preston, a bestselling author whose novel The Codex is based on Fenn’s story.

“That gold is out there—I held it with my own hands,” says Preston, one of the few to have seen the chest before Fenn hid it. “Some of the most wonderful things in the treasure are enormous gold nuggets the size of hen’s eggs, weighing more than a pound each, and worth several times their bullion value. He included things that would survive a long time, and that would be interesting and unusual. And the chest itself is quite rare; it’s a Romanesque lockbox from the 12th century, and with the gold and jewels inside, it weighs 42 pounds.”

Surprisingly, there have been only a few items about the treasure in the local newspaper or on the news. But there are certainly other signs of it around Santa Fe. The Inn and Spa at Loretto offers guests a ” Thrill of the Chase” package, which includes two nights’ accommodations, a scavenger hunt and an autographed copy of Fenn’s book. There’s also a ” Thrill of the Chase” signature cocktail, a blend of light rum, sweet vermouth and Amaretto di Saronno sprinkled with gold flakes, and a Forrest Fenn sandwich, consisting of pastrami with apple sauerkraut on marble rye (Fenn’s favorite).

When Fenn himself walks down the street these days, locals constantly stop him; they want to know if anyone has found the treasure. Others shake his hand and call him a hero. Local jeweler Marc Howard hails Fenn as a cross between Will Rogers and Mark Twain. “He’s a story-weaver, and has created a legacy that will reach out into the future.”

Fenn is modest about the whole thing, though. “I was hoping the treasure chase would cause some excitement and get a few guys out into the mountains,” he says. “I did not expect it to get so big so fast.”

He hasn’t gone back to his hiding place to see if the treasure is still there. He assumes it hasn’t been found (though he knows of “more than a few people” who have searched within 500 feet of the site), and that suits him fine. “I think that I’ll be a little disappointed when it is found, because the mystery will be gone.”

One clue follower, Dal Neitzel, has been looking for the treasure for more than two years. He’s already made five trips down from his home in Washington state, and plans to keep looking. Not that the booty is Neitzel’s primary motivation: Fenn’s treasure hunt has turned into something bigger, something more meaningful.

“Forrest Fenn is the hider of undiscovered dreams for thousands of folks who go looking for that treasure,” he says, “and discover not the place where the treasure is hidden, but the place in their heart where adventure sleeps, and trails begin.”

Travel journalist MARGIE GOLDSMITH lives in New York City, where high rents preclude burying treasures worth more than a few dollars.

43 Responses to “The Thrill of the Chase”

1. IreneR Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 9:56 am

I absolutely couldn’t stop reading this piece. What a story! Who would think of hiding a treasure chest full of gold and actually go out and DO it? A modern-day Robinson Crusoe or Pirates of the Caribbean–except TRUE! It makes me want to buy a pick axe, rent a mule and go out on a treasure hunt. Such a happy and optimistic way to start the new year!!

2. Marc Howard Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 10:20 am

Very nice article Margie. I know Forrest will get a kick out of it. I’ll let you know if my continuing search is successful. Marc

3. Mickey Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 10:24 am

What a great real life adventure. Here’s hoping some lucky (deserving) person will discover Fenn’s treasure in 2013.

4. Rick Nowak Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 10:58 am

Within 500 feet:)

Rick

5. Marie Cash Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 10:59 am

And the beat goes on! Forrest Fenn is an American treasure. He has led an amazing life, many details of which he has shared in his wonderful memoir, The Thrill of the Chase, and has given individuals from all walks of life the opportunity to participate in a real treasure hunt. Truly a story which will be told to thousands of grandchildren out there by dedicated treasure hunters who are experiencing the thrill of it all.

6. Karlynn Keyes Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 11:10 am

Forrest Fenn has been a friend for over 30 years and he is one of the most remarkable men in the world! His life is as rich as the treasures he has hidden. Wonderful article about an authentic American treasure…Forrest Fenn himself!
    Karlynn Keyes
    Scottsdale, Arizona

7. Bob Haworth Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 11:20 am

I heard about Forrest Fenn’s book, “The Thrill Of The Chase”, from a friend here in Denver who is also an author and a friend of Mr. Fenn’s. She suggested that I might consider writing a song based on Mr. Fenn’s book and life story. After penning an initial draft of my song (also titled “The Thrill Of The Chase”) I sent it to him for his perusal. He suggested a couple lyric changes, and after tweaking it a bit I went into the studio to record the song. I was honored to be invited to perform the song at Mr. Fenn’s book signing event in Santa Fe in February, 2011. I now offer single copies of the recording to anyone interested. You may contact me through my website at http://www.bobhaworth.com and request a copy of the song on CD for $5.00. All proceeds from sales of the song go to Forrest Fenn’s Cancer Victim fund, which he has established to assist young cancer victims.

8. Holly Smith Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love all the adventure it has stirred up! Knowing Forrest, I know it is true so keep looking! Pretty cool cousin to have a sandwich and drink named after him much less a scavenger hunt and book! Love it! He’s the real thing!

9. SHIRLEY Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Forrest: Too bad you didn’t bury it in Santa Fe where ex new yorkers like me find our adventures. LOVE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR to you PEGGY AND KELLY. SHIRLEY

10. Barbara Rogers Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 12:27 pm

What a beautiful story! It captures the sense that the real treasure is not the contents of the chest, but in how it has fired people’s imaginations.

11. Bob Gallo Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 12:39 pm

From a friend, and fellow fighter pilot who flew with Forrest in Vietnam – this is a great story. His memoir is a must read.

12. Stephanie Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 3:45 pm

You know what they say….15th time is the charm ;-)

13. dal Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Lovely story Margie! He didn’t happen to mention where he hid it, did he?

14. David Foxhoven Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Check out Forrest Fenn on YouTube.

15. Marla Foxhoven Says:
    January 1st, 2013 at 9:39 pm

This sounds like an intereting adventure. Will be checking in to this. Thanks Irene Rawlings for sending me the link.

16. Bruce Eldredge Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:33 am

Great article. The thrill of the chase is an important concept for humanity. It drives exploration in all endeavors. Thanks Forrest for keeping that spirit alives.
    Bruce

17. Terri Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 10:22 am

Great article Margie!

18. Geo Z Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:56 pm

They say that a persons greatness is based on the number of people they influence in their lifetime. Forrest has influenced a great number of people. Although it has not been publicized, he has affected a number of kids in our Expanding Environments youth program and that will surely add to his stature when he reaches the Happy Hunting Grounds.

19. Jack Stamm Says:
    January 3rd, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thanks to Forrest, I have friends who have a new mission in life, find the treasure or die trying. Artist Armond Lara thinks Forrest’s wants his remains to reside in the same hiding place which,if discovered, must be very high profile. Forrest would have wanted it thus. I’ve shared many a memorable moment with Forrest and his family. He always made life more intriquing and fascinating than the average art dealer. Many thanks for writing a terrific piece about one of the most adventuresome individuals who ever graced the planet.

20. Margie Goldsmith Says:
    January 3rd, 2013 at 10:45 am

There wasn’t enough room in the story to explain Forrest’s unending generosity. Each year he brings a group of 17 “at risk” (for lack of another word) teens to his pueblo in Santa Fe, sends a teacher/archeologist with them who teaches them how to “dig.” He pays minimum wage to each, exposes them to a potentially wonderful career, pays for their room and board, sends pizzas to the site (besides healthy meals), takes them to a swimming hole, and I know first-hand, inspires them to make positive life choices instead of turning to evil lifestyles.

21. Ranny L Says:
    January 4th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Great article. I met Forrest once and he was certainly all that and a bag of chips. Had not heard about this mysterious hidden treasure though. Might be a way to fund my nonprofit. Now, where to start…

22. Chase Reynolds Ewald Says:
    January 6th, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Forrest is indeed one of a kind. It’s an honor simply to be insulted by him. I have seen the treasure (not because I’ve found the hiding place, unfortunately) and it’s for real, from the ancient chest itself, recovered from a shipwreck, to the jewels, coins and raw nuggets of gold within. Only a true storyteller could have come up with an idea that could excite the imagination of so many.

23. Chad C Says:
    January 9th, 2013 at 10:34 am

This article, I believe, captures the heart of what this is about for most of us in the hunt. It is about getting out there – doing something, anything. The hunt allows us to dream and to insert ourselves into the legend. Nice article about a nice guy. Thanks.

24. Cloudcover Says:
    January 13th, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Although having searched for more than a year now, my obsession in the hunt has not waned. Each new day is greeted with enthusiasm by this hunter whose head is filled with thoughts on the chase. Where to go next,what to see next. I’m enjoying this journey tremendously. And also within me there has been awakened a renewed love of the land I call home. Thank you, Mr. Fenn.

25. Brad Sather Says:
    January 14th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Margie last year and she is doing a wonderful job of getting the story and the amazing guy behind it into the treasure seeking souls of all thrill chasing Americans! Nice job Margie!

Forrest continues to live as he has his entire adult life, as a kid trapped in a mature body. We would do well to catch his fever and realize that everyone needs toys, adventure, and to fantasize about buried treasures. This one however is not marked by an “X”, nor was it buried by pirates. This one is for real and was secretly cached away by a true western hero! I hope it’s not found for at least ten years!

26. Jimmy & Paulie Horvath (8 and 10 year olds from Harrison NY) Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Dear Mr. Fenn, my sons, Jimmy & Paulie Horvath, have always been adventurers. After having told them about the article I read, they made me find it online and go over the 9 clues in your poem. We are inspired by the generosity in the teaching of your having hidden the treasure (note I did not say “buried”), and we hope some day to meet you ahead of our fun pursuit to find the treasure so that we can donate most of it to someone who really needs it.

Thank you for the wonderful sense of adventure and giving us something amazing to speak about.

27. Werner Kosanke Says:
    February 27th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Wish I had the time and money to look for the treasure it would be a great adventure.
    Thank you, Mr. Fenn for putting life into people for this adventure that I am sure many are doing.

28. Michele Says:
    March 1st, 2013 at 1:17 am

Mr. Fenn,
    I think I’m on to you. I have just had a nice history lesson of expiditions with some character references thanks to the WWW. No gold in Santa Fe. But “Santa Fe” is alluded to in the early expeditions.

29. marco Says:
    March 2nd, 2013 at 5:14 am

Sometimes the biggest treasure is near us and around us but we dont see him.the nature is our heaven but all things like tv,video games,computers is in the other side…i hope the children of today will take a nature like the most important treasure they can find today!thanks to Mr.Fenn to show us what is good in our lives!one day when somebody find the treasure i hope they will hidden them again and save many childern showing them what we are…The Nature!

30. John Christian Says:
    March 3rd, 2013 at 12:17 am

Dear Margie Goldsmith here is my letter to Mr. Forrest Fenn:

As a child of the tales of the West I appreciate the marvels of your Tale of your life and artfully well accomplished legend.

My name is John, even my best friend at 13-17 myself was Ted at 94 when I met him. Upmost respect for him even since his passing at 97. He taught me many things;

the greatest gift he gave me is this line of thinking:

“The wisest man is the one who listens….”
    however it wasn’t till I turned 20 years old when I realized with a great smile upon my face the rest of what he really unsaid meant:
    “You also have to be willing to ask the questions”.

What possibly may be the great hunt you have made; people are failing to see the colors of you and your story since they are BOUND together.

That is the first clue.

I am living near Seattle Washington State; don’t worry I don’t have any means of travel to go hunting for it; I would like to say one phrase to you:

Brown Spanish Egg- figure eight.

Sincerely,

John

31. Greg Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I just heard about Forrest Fenn last week! I have not yet read his book, but I have read many articles & interviews. In some of those interviews, Forrest says things that might be described as “clues.” For example …
    1)”After I hid the treasure, I walked back to my car …” My interpretation: If you have the right kind of car, you can drive almost all the way to the hiding place. The last segment of the journey would be on foot.
    2)”While you are treasure hunting, think like an 80-year old.” My interpretation: How far could an 80-year old carry a 42-pound box? The answer to that question indicates how far the hiding place is from your parked car.
    3)”Take a sandwich with you.” My interpretation: You can drive from Sante Fe to the hiding place & back in one day. The only meal you will miss is lunch.
    4)”Take a flashlight with you.” My interpretation: The hiding place is in a shaded or dark area, but not underground.
    5)”The hidden treasure is surrounded by trees.” My interpretation: The hiding place is in a forest. (That’s his name: Forrest!)

Any other ideas?

32. Lynn Kelley Says:
    March 8th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Hi Forrest,

Just want to thank you! Paul (my old guy) and I just ordered your book. Had planned to take the grandkids fly fishing up through Sioux St Marie this summer, but think we’ll toss them all in our son’s SUV and drive back to our old haunts this summer, instead. The kids will love planning and executing this trip! I’ve got a kid brother (I’m the oldest of 10) who lives with his lovely Hispanic wife and however many of his 9 kids are still living at home, in Glorietta. Figure that will make a great home base for our treasure hunt…and, if we don’t find it, we’ll still get to see good people we haven’t gotten to see in awhile. Wish my dad were still alive to join us. You sound so much like him, although he never could sell anything.

Will be reading your site when we aren’t busy consulting topo maps!

Lynn and Paul

33. charles Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 10:16 pm

JUST heard of this adventure this morning here in washington state. got online and did some visuals of santa fe. and read some other blogs. seems people think south. well thats good for those searching north. I admit im not the brightest person on earth. but I am smart enough to figure out the starting point.. if this treasure is not found by 2014. ill take a trip. find the box. and shake his hand. and thank him.

34. Ken Says:
    March 28th, 2013 at 5:25 pm

My 12 year old son and I have most of the clues figured out. I can’t share how we know, but suffice to say, when you have the solution, you’ll know it. We are moving to Colorado this summer and will dedicate weekends to the search until we find it. Good luck to everyone!

35. Harold Monk Says:
    April 4th, 2013 at 11:11 am

Although since first learning of this mystery a few days go, I have copied Forrest with a bit of joshing, I assure all doubters that the treasure is indeed there. I knew Forrest and his family 70 years ago. I wouldn’t say they walked on water, but I never heard anyone accuse them of getting wet above the ankles. He is a guy of great integrity who challenges us all.

36. Dawn Says:
    April 4th, 2013 at 11:47 am

While I probably will never have the oportunity to treasure hunt :) it brings a smile to my face of my favorite child hood movie “Goonies” The adventure the excitement! But this story did remind me to always keep my eyes open when about never know what treasures are right in front of you.

37. Geydelkon Says:
    June 11th, 2013 at 11:34 am

The Thrill of the Chase blogs are now active. I still need to do a little more coding. Please come and look around and perhaps by the book to locate the treasure hidden by Forrest Feen.

38. Mr. Martin Says:
    June 16th, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I can’t wait me and my dad are coming up there this aug.. to claim our treasure. Iv figured this poem out after clocking over 500 hours of online research and over 266 trips to the library. I belive Iknow where its laid. When we claim it and you figure it out where it was it will put a huge smile on your face… we may not tell the location but we will show the treasure. I’m hoping to put a new treasure in its place. So there is still somthing to hunt for. I may even take a few things out of his chest to add to what I’m replacing. But I must this poem was very hard to crack. .

39. Tom Gregory Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 1:43 pm

There is now a free co-op in New Mexico that anyone can use to help in interpreting clues for finding Forest Fenn’s treasure. See nmtreasure.com

40. James Martin Says:
    August 29th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

So here are the SECRETS I have found …. The PLACE we went was TOWER FALLS in YELLOWSTONE in WYOMING (a place Forrest Fenn spent alot of time as a child written in a couple books he wrote) ….. I will explain more below

As I have gone alone in there
    And with my treasures bold,
    I can keep my secret where,
    And hint of riches new and old.

(In the place we went there is a CAVERN by TOWER FALLS in YELLOWSTONE)

Begin it where warm waters halt
    And take it in the canyon down,
    Not far, but too far to walk,
    Put in below the home of Brown.

(There is a CANYON WARM WATER RIVER, that joins with the River that DUMPS into TOWER FALLS YELLOWSTONE) The TRAIL begins at the TOWER FALLS LOOKOUT its so easy a CHILD or GRANDMA could do it UNTIL you get to the RIVER by the FALLS too far to walk for a 70ish CANCER ridden person but not too hard or too far) (further more there is a RANGER house just ABOVE that location and the OLD famous RANGER that use to RUN that end of the park last name was BROWN and unless you know that it would be confusing and there is no NAME of BROWN at that ranger station but records proved that was HIS HOUSE while at the PARK) (Furthermore TOWER FALLS is below CANYON area at yellowstone this is a good clue too)

From there it’s no place for the meek,
    The end is ever drawing nigh;
    There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
    Just heavy loads and water high.

(Now once you get to the END of the TOWER FALLS trail a sign reads UNMAINTAINED SECTION use trail at own risk, and you will have to get near the pool at the BASE of the FALL) (You cannot PADDLE up the FALLS so you where the CREEK and The FALLS meet you will be up a creek without ability to paddle … it all makes sense) (now you must wade a SECTION across the CREEK probably about waist high or lower which is WATERS high and if your trying not to get a BRASS Chest full of treasure wet it would be HEAVY LOADS including the SPEED of the river where you must past)

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
    Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
    But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
    Just take the chest and go in peace.

(Now there is a BLAZE looks just like a FLAME on the ROCKS right above the CAVERN, so looking down from the BLAZE you will enter the CAVERN a shallow CAVERN, and there you will find the CHEST)

So why is it that I must go
    And leave my trove for all to seek?
    The answers I already know,
    I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

(it can be TIRING)

So hear me all and listen good,
    Your effort will be worth the cold.
    If you are brave and in the wood
    I give you title to the gold.

(the mist from the TOWER FALLS makes it COLD, and WOOD collects into that CAVERN sort of near the EDGE of the WATERS)

41. tony montgomery Says:
    September 23rd, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I haven’t started but its coming. I’ve purchased his book and the only person who’s going to find it is Mother Nature. I think I’d really like to help Mr. Fenn excavate his property and find some lost Indian tribe. That make my day.

42. Asian Clothing Says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 1:00 am

Forrest Fenn is a person who is worthy to be respected by people as his spirit and devotion for human

43. C. Rushn Says:
    November 27th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I’ve seen a lot of clues on here, including the 13 that he has given to date (that I know of). There are several people that have given their interpretation of the clues (which is fun) and others introspect on what they think the clues translate to. So much info, so little time. I read, in this blog, that Mr. Martin Says: June 16th, 2013 at 10:33 pm him and his dad were coming in Aug of this year. I didn’t see any follow-on commentary so I must assume they were not successful, even after spending all that time on the internet and libraries. I believe that the chest is in New Mexico. I don’t think Mr. Fenn would drive out of state to lay the chest elsewhere. I wish I had the time to go on the hunt for the chest. I really do. Its a bit far for me to drive, even on a 3 day weekend. I still have 4 years to go before I retire. At that time, I am sure I will at least give my interpretations to the clue one try, okay, maybe two. Good hunting.

Leave your comments