Upgrade your holiday meal with recipes from great American chefs
The über-chef, restaurateur and TV cooking star takes his award-winning cuisine from restaurant to home kitchen with this roast rack of pork sweetened with maple sugar–caramelized onions.
ROAST RACK OF PORK WITH CARAMELIZED MAPLE ONIONS
12-lb. pork rack with 4 bones attached
Salt and pepper
4 T. olive oil
3 yellow onions, sliced
1 inch fresh ginger, crushed
1/2 stick cinnamon
1 star anise pod
3 T. sweet butter
4 T. maple sugar
3 1/3 c. apple cider
1. Season both sides of rack with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium high. Sear rack until caramelized. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In same pan used for searing rack, add onions, ginger, cinnamon, star anise and butter. Cook over medium low until onions are well caramelized. Add maple sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Deglaze saucepan with cider, season to taste with salt and pepper and allow to reduce until jammy compote forms.
4. Completely cover rack with half of onion compote. Transfer rack to roasting pan and place in oven. Cook at 20 minutes per pound or until internal temperature is 150 degrees. Halfway through cooking time, pour remaining half of onion compote over rack.
5. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.